Most frequent questions

People to contact

Here are the people to contact if you have any questions:

Academic calendar and deadlines

You can view the academic calendars and deadlines below:

Am I full time?

To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits. When you are registered for the thesis, you are considered full-time from the start to the end of your M.Sc. Indeed, you need to work on your thesis for 24 credits, which means the equivalent of 8 courses, hence two full semesters of work.

If you are an international student, you must study full time during the fall and winter terms. Summer is not part of your student visa requirements.

Supervised project or thesis

When to do your supervised project or thesis

Here is what we recommend, but you are free to organize yourself as you wish.

Example for a full time student:

Stream Fall - Year 1 Winter - Year 1 Fall - Year 2 Winter - Year 2
thesis 4 courses - 12 credits 3 courses - 9 credits thesis - equivalent 4courses/12credits thesis - equivalent 4courses/12credits
Supervised project 4 courses - 12 credits 4 courses - 12 credits 4 courses - 12 credits Supervised project - equivalent 3courses/9credits

Problems registering for courses on HEC enligne


Several scholarships exist at HEC Montreal. Get the info on which ones you are eligible for.

Preparatory courses

If your acceptance letter contains preparatory courses, they should be taken from your first semester and generically, as quickly as possible, independently of the other MSc courses.

How to take language support courses

Courses in French, English, Spanish and Chinese are offered.

Attestations and transcripts

Here is the procedure to follow to obtain certificates and/or transcripts:

Attention! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Zone Info information counter is closed. We invite you to complete an online application. Please also note that we receive a high volume of requests. Therefore, it may take longer than expected to process your application. Thank you for your understanding.

About a deferral

Here is what you need to know about a deferral:

  1. To request a deferral from Fall to Winter 22, you must complete and submit a Short admission form at the beginning of the Fall term at the latest – if you are registered to courses in the Fall, do not drop them, we will do it without the dropping fees.
  2. A deferral is only allowed once. If you cannot make it in the Winter, you will have to reapply to the program for a later term.
  3. A deferral is only allowed for the term following the admission term, i.e., the Winter 22 in your case, not any further.
  4. When we receive your form requesting a deferral, it will take a few days for the new admission letter to be available in your HEC en ligne.

Probation and Exclusion

If you have a GPA below 2.7/4.3, you enter into the dangerous “probation” zone.

If your GPA is below 2.3, you are automatically excluded.

Jobs & Internships

International Busines-All in One Workshop